You can never collapse my business because I will fight – Ken Agyapong warns GRA

Assin Central Member of Parliament Kennedy Agyapong has declared ‘war’ on the Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA).

 

The outspoken lawmaker has alleged that the GRA is witch-hunting him with respect to two of his major businesses. A steel plant project he is building and his cold store business.

 

He said during an interview on Sompa FM in Kumasi that: “Ghana Revenue Authority can never collapse my business because I will fight. I will fight for the youth because that steel plant aone will take 1000 workers.

 

“And you are going there because Kwame Agyapong is loudmouthed, because he wants to contest so you will destroy my business,” he stressed.

 

He said earlier that the GRA wanted to put a personnel at his cold chain stores to police how much fish he sells daily before warning: “Let me say this, I have gone past intimidation.

 

“They cannot use the system to intimidate me. It so ad I have to say this, I have opened businesses across the last five presidents, I never went through any of this harassment.”

 

 

Source: Ghana Web

There are galamseyers in Jubilee House, gov’t, NPP – Prof Frimpong-Boateng

Prof Kwabena Frimpong-Boateng, a former Minister of Environment, Science, Technology and Innovation, who also schaired the Inter-Ministerial Committee on Illegal Mining (IMCIM), has revealed that elements within both the governing New Patriotic Party and the Akufo-Addo government, conspired in a grand scheme to hound him out of office to pave the way for their free participation in illegal mining (galamsey).

 

In February 2020 while still in office, Prof Frimpong-Boateng disclosed that some of the 500 excavators allegedly seized by the IMCIM had gone missing.

 

In an interview with Accra-based Joy FM, Prof Frimpong-Boateng said: “We were told that 500 [excavators] had been seized and given to the district assemblies but later on, when we went out to check, the figure was far less than that”.

 

Asked about the exact figures, Prof Frimpong-Boateng answered: “I cannot tell you exactly what but I can tell you it was far lower than the 500 put out”.

 

He, however, noted that the earthmoving equipment that went missing, were in the custody of the district assemblies.

 

“That was the case in most of the areas, so, we sent people out there to talk to the district assemblies and we got Vanguard involved and most of them had disappeared”, Prof Frimpong-Boateng said.

 

In a recent interview with state broadcaster GTV, however, Prof Frimpong-Boateng said the missing excavator story was trumped up against him by his own party and other government officials involved in galamsey, just to get him out.

 

“No 500 excavators got missing. Who said that? It was thrown into the media space to tag something on Frimpong-Boageng”, he said.

 

“What am I doing with 500 excavators?” he wondered.

 

 

Source: Ghana Web

Ashaiman murder of soldier: Questions in need of answers from police

The Ghana Police Service in a statement posted on social media, late Friday, March 10, 2023; confirmed the arrest of the main suspects involved in the murder of a young military trooper, Sherrif Imoro.

 

“Full details of the arrests made by the Police on Thursday, 9th March and at dawn today, 10th March 2023, within Ashaiman and its environs follow…” the statement said.

 

Over 24 hours later, the police has yet to release the full details promised in their terse press release.

 

The statement was the first time the Police were speaking to the issue which started on March 4, when the death of Sherrif went viral on social media platforms especially on Twitter.

 

On March 7, the military invaded a part of the Ashaiman township where Sherrif was reportedly attacked and killed by assailants in what the Ghana Armed Forces called a ‘swoop.’

 

Their action was widely condemned for being illegal to the extent that it was for the police to hunt for civilian criminals and to prosecute same.

 

That they engaged in excesses by way of brutalizing some residents of Ashaiman Taifa did not help matters. The military said its operation was sanctioned adding that it had taken notice of some excesses in the swoop.

 

Below are questions inn need of response from the police

 

  1. Did the military hand over any suspects to them as stated in their press release of March 8?

 

  1. How many suspects are in police custody?

 

  1. Are they still holding the supposed girlfriend of the deceased soldier according to a confirmation of ‘invitation’ as relayed by the Ashaiman MP this week?

 

In terms of the names and images of the said suspects, security experts have explained that the police may be keeping it away from the public because of the sensitivity of the case.

 

Meanwhile, journalist Kofi Adoma has reported that the military are still chasing after the iPhone of the deceased, Sherrif Imoro, as part of its efforts to unravel his death.

 

FULL STATEMENT: POLICE ARREST KEY SUSPECTS IN THE MURDER OF IMORO SHERRIF, A SOLDIER

 

The Police after a week of sustained intelligence-led operation have arrested the key suspects involved in the murder of Imoro Sherrif, the soldier who was found dead at Taifa Ashiaman on 4th March, 2023.

 

Full details of the arrests made by the Police on Thursday, 9th March and at dawn today, 10th March 2023, within Ashaiman and its environs follow…

 

The March 7 military swoop

 

Dozens of military officers stormed Ashaiman in the operation that saw some soldiers entering the town in trucks, with an armoured car plus a helicopter hovering over the town.

 

The exercise is said to be in response to the gruesome murder of a young soldier, Trooper Sherrif Imoro, by some unidentified persons on Saturday, March 4, 2023.

 

Videos of the invasion shared across social media show various forms of assault being meted on residents by the rampaging officers who subjected some of the residents to severe beatings.

 

In a statement released in the early hours of March 8, the Ghana Armed Forces admitted authorizing the swoop which led to the arrest of 184 persons, as well as the seizure of suspected illegal drugs.

 

In the said statement, they also acknowledged excesses may have resulted in the swoop but failed to apologize for or commit to conduct a probe on same.

 

An initial 150 suspects were released on March 8 whiles Fix The Country movement convener Oliver Barker-Vormawor reported on March 9 that the remaining 34 have also been freed without charge.

 

 

Source: Ghana Web

Bogus decision! Ken Agyapong rejects EC’s CI on Ghana Card only for voter registration

Assin Central Member of Parliament, Kennedy Agyapong has signaled his opposition to a Constitutional Instrument (CI) seeking to make the Ghana Card the sole Identification document for registration of new voters.

 

The CI, proposed by the Electoral Commission is currently before Parliament with strong opposition from the Minority Caucus with strong support from the other side.

 

Agyapong mad his views known on the matter in an interview he granted Sompa FM in Kumasi late last week.

 

“For Americans, even Ghanaians who have naturalized, they are so proud to hold an American passport. Ghana has people taking bogus decisions and I wonder those who sit there and take such decisions.

 

“That a whole Ghana passport, you claim that to register to vote, we won’t allow use of the Ghana passport, we have lost our identity to National Identification, what?” he lamented.

 

He reiterated his strict opposition to the move asking, “what makes me know I am a Ghanaian? It is my passport.”

 

He also rejected the EC’s explanation that a lot of non-Ghanaians are holding the Ghanaian passport, “same is the case with these Ghana Cards,” he challenged.

 

The CI aims to amend the current law to make Ghana Card, the sole proof of identification for registration of new voters, removing the existing options of the use of passports and the guarantor system.

 

Source: Ghana Web

‘Ghana’s economic death spiral continues to spin’ – Prof. Steve Hanke warns

Prof. of Applied Economics at the John Hopkins University in the United States, Steve Hanke has cautioned that Ghana is on the path of an economic death spiral.

 

The academic who has in the last few months posted critical verdicts on Ghana’s economy cited inflationary figures for his latest take on the economy.

 

He insists that the Ghana Statistical Service was churning inflation figures far below the real rate describing the rate as ‘rubbish.’

 

“Ghana’s economic death spiral just continues to spin. Today, I measure inflation in Ghana at a stunning 84.95%/yr, ~1.58x the Ghana Statistical Services’ phony official rate. The GSS is producing RUBBISH,” Hanke tweeted on March 11.

 

Government working to attain IMF bailout

 

Government run to the International Monetary Fund (IMF) in 2022 at a time the economy was in a downward spiral.

 

The government only recently secured a Domestic Debt Exchange Programme (DDEP), which according to experts is a major conditionality of the lender in granting Board approval for a US$3 billion bailout.

 

The programme was meant to ensure the streamlining Ghana’s unsustainable debt. Government announced an 85% participation rate.

 

Ghana is hoping to get the first tranche of the bailout by March this year in order to among others rein in inflation and arrest the galloping depreciation of the cedi.

 

Talks are currently underway with Ghana’s external creditors in a bid to restructure loans in order to get IMF Board approval in March 2023.

Source: Ghana Web

Women caucus in parliament demand safe parliamentary seats

Minister for Communications and Digitalisation, Mrs. Ursula Owusu-Ekuful has resurrected the demand for political parties to reserve safe parliamentary seats for women.

According to the Ablekuma West MP, the practice of slashing filing fees for women by political parties is not enough of an affirmative action.

The governing NPP in opposition attempted implementing the policy of reserving safe seats for women. The policy was however aborted after massive resistance.

Speaking to the media after a statement from leader of the women caucus Lydia Seyram Alhassan on the floor in commemoration of International Women’s Day, Mrs. Owusu-Ekkuful argued such a policy is the only way to get more women into parliament.

“It is imperative therefore for political parties in Ghana to critically consider in designing for implementation of an effective quota system that will seek to protect women Parliamentarians while creating the opportunity for more women to become Members of Parliament.

“I must state Mr. Speaker that my advocacy for a quota system for women in Parliament does not in any way suggest that we should be made to enter Parliament on a silver platter. However, in the face of obvious challenges that crowd women from political space, a quota that upholds the principle of competence and meritocracy will go a long way to increase women participation not only in Parliament but in the entire governance process of the country,” madam Alhassan stated.

She continued: “So on this occasion of International Women’s Day, I urge us all to reaffirm our commitment to championing the course of women in Ghana and it is my hope that this august house will take the front seat in pushing reforms that will aim at increasing the proportion of women in Parliament and entire governance structure in our dear country.”

Source: Ghana Web

Kwabena Duffuor to restore NDC defunct Heroes Fund

NDC 2024 Flag bearer contender Dr. Kwabena Duffuor has said he will restore the defunct NDC Heroes Fund to serve its original purpose for which it was set up.

The former governor of the Bank of Ghana gave the reassurance during a campaign tour with Greater Accra regional executives of the NDC in Accra.

The Fund was set up in June 2011 under President John Evans Atta Mills to assist supporters and loyalists of the NDC who have encountered misfortunes, incapacitation or other forms of deprivations in the course of their service to the party.

The setting up of the fund followed the efforts put into the General Elections by the party grassroots in 2008, leading to the recapturing of power from the NPP with many party faithfuls putting themselves in harm’s way.

In order to sustain the enthusiasm of the youth and the base of the party, the NDC came up with an insurance policy called the HEROES FUND to reasure and compensate those who go the extra mile for the party, an idea that received popular acclaim from the rank and file.

Without any sustainable measures put in place after the demise of President Atta Mills, the Fund dried up and died a natural death.

Unfortunately, only a few party heroes benefited from the fund at the initial stages but all others who put themselves in harm’s way during subsequent elections throughout the country and suffered injuries in places like Ayawaso West Wuogon, Techiman South and many other places did not get any financial support from the party due to the collapse of the heroes fund.

Dr. Kwabena Duffuor who was finance minister under President Atta Mills believes it is a legacy that must be urgently restored immediately he is elected flag bearer of the opposition NDC for the 2024 elections in order to restore and instil confidence and courage in the rank and file of the party.

‘’We cannot afford as a party to be without a support system at a time when there is state sponsored political violence all over the country, making the political landscape intimidating for the NDC members to come out vigorously to engage in open grassroots mobilisation, policing of ballots, serving as agents and collation of election results.’’

Without this support system, Dr. Kwabena Duffuor argues, the party base has been weakened, and the morale and individual resolve to sacrifice for the party before, during and after elections has vanished, and in its place is apathy.

In 2022, the NDC 2024 Flag bearer hopeful introduced a different support system for the NDC grassroots better known as the NDC AHOTOR business support Project to bring a commercial reality to the party activities at constituency level with a personal investment of about 10M Ghana cedes into the AHOTOR business suit for all 275 constituencies.

When fully rolled out, it is estimated to generate an average income of 6000ghc per month per constituency. The aim is to make constituency executives financially autonomous and easily facilitate party work.

Source: Ghana Web

Give me massive votes just like you did in 2019 – Mahama to NDC delegates

Former President John Dramani Mahama has urged National Democratic Congress (NDC) delegates to vote massively for him in the party’s upcoming presidential primaries.

John Mahama told party delegates in the Kintampo North constituency of the Bono East Region that he would need their support to be elected as the party’s candidate to lead it to victory in 2024.

John Mahama recalled how he was massively endorsed by the party’s delegates in 2019 and urged them to do so again in 2023 so that he could be elected.

“Someone told me they already knew who I was and that I should organise a meeting for the delegates and speak to them,” he said.

But I disagreed and responded that I needed to respect the delegates and go to them to ask for their votes. That is why I am here, pleading with you to vote for me. Just as you did for me in 2019, I am asking you to do the same in 2023.

“I’d like to start by thanking you for your help in 2019. Your support was enormous. I received 95.3% of the votes cast out of the seven candidates. It was a massive endorsement. When you give such an endorsement, it sends some fear and panic to our opponents.”

“It also sends a message to our opponents that the NDC is united in victory. I would be declared the winner if I received 50% plus one. I’ll be a winner if I get 60, 70, 80, or 90.

“However, we must send a clear message to the NPP that the NDC remains united and supports a single candidate. So, just as you did for me in 2019, you would do the same in 2023. In humility, I stand before you today. I’m asking for your support.”

Source: Ghana Web