Atomic Junction gas explosion victims still responding to treatment
Accra, Major Richard Okyere Mintah, the Administrative Officer of Medical, 37 Military Hospital, has called for resources and help from institutions, individuals and philanthropists to enable the hospital to effectively offer care to the gas explosion victims.
He said burnt cases took a long time to heal and, therefore, became a burden and an expensive venture on the hospital hence the need for the support.
Major Mintah said this in an interview with the Ghana News Agency (GNA) when it visited the Hospital on Sunday for an update on the Atomic Junction gas explosion victims.
The incident, which occurred on Saturday evening, claimed seven lives with 132 suffering various degrees of injuries and receiving treatment at the 37 Military, Ridge, Legon and Korle-Bu Teaching hospitals.
Out of the 132, 64 have been discharged and 68 are still receiving treatment.
He said the 37 Military Hospital had two patients in the intensive care unit, two in Allied Ward, five treated and discharged, 28 stable but with trauma, and three deaths.
Dr Emmanuel Srofenyoh, a Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist at the Ridge Hospital, said the Hospital had, so far, received 23 victims with three deaths, adding that most were on oxygen.
He said it needed financial support and logistics to aid in the delivery of healthcare and appealed to families not to neglect their relatives on admission.
Madam Vida Nviddah, the Administrative Manager, University of Ghana Hospital, said they received 47 casualties yesterday but many had been discharged.
The authorities at the Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital said only one patient had been referred there at the time the GNA visited.
Source: Ghana News Agency