Police arrest five suspects in Agbobloshie clashes
Accra, The Ghana Police Service have arrested five suspects in relation to the Agbogloshie incident, which claimed one life last Tuesday, in the major business area in Accra.
The deceased, a male aged about 27, suffered gunshot and cutlass wounds.
Eight persons sustained various degrees of injuries and had since been admitted at the Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital for medical attention, while property running into thousands of Ghana cedis were destroyed.
The suspects are in police custody assisting in investigations.
Speaking at a media briefing in Accra, on Wednesday, the Inspector General of Police, Mr. David Asante-Apeatu, said in order to maintain law and order, the Service had created a Command Post comprising the police and the military to ensure continuous security in the area.
He urged the public to give relevant information to the Command Centre directly or call 0299206800.
The IGP said extensive patrols were being undertaken throughout the country with emphasis on potential flash-points.
Narrating the facts of the incident, the IGP said the Accra Regional Police Command received information that a young man sold a mobile phone belonging to another man and that a group of people allegedly beat up the suspect and released him.
He said at about 09:15 hours the next day, the suspect went away and returned with a group of sympathisers on a revenge mission, which were extensively repelled by the phone owner and his sympathisers.
He said the suspect and his team left and came back for the second time with re-enforcement in numbers and attacked the phone owner and his team resulting in the death of one person.
He said the Police, upon hearing the information, deployed personnel to the scene but they were restrained.
Therefore, a police re-enforcement team was sent to the area with some being kept on the ground to monitor the situation.
He said a consultative meeting was arranged with the key stakeholders and it was at the meeting that it received that there had been renewed clashes.
Source: Ghana News Agency