Teenager killed in gruesome accident on the Nsuta road

Nsuta (W/R)- A sixteen year-old boy, Ishmael Ocran, lost his life in a gory accident that occurred at the Nsuta junction in the Tarkwa Nsueam Municipality.

The Tarkwa Divisional Commander of Motor Traffic and Transport Department (MTTD), Superintendent of Police Victoria Yamoah, disclosed this to the Ghana News Agency.

She said at about 1840 hours on November 15, the 31 year-old suspect driver, Kojo Antwi, was in charge of a Man Diesel haulage truck loaded with Manganese from the Ghana Manganese Company Limited (GMCL) site at Nsuta towards Takoradi harbour.

She said on reaching Nsuta junction, at Tamso, Antwi allegedly run over the deceased while he was attempting to cross the road.

Superintendent Yamoah said the deceased who lived with the parents at Teberebie, a suburb of Tarkwa, died on the spot, but the driver sped off.

A witness then chased Antwi and intercepted him at Fiaseman Senior High School in Bankyim.

The MTTD commander said that some angry residents of Nsuta then went on rampage, blocked the road and burned used tyres to prevent any truck belonging to GMC from operating.

Another Man Diesel truck which attempted to enter the premises of GMC was vandalized by the mob.

Superintendent Yamoah said efforts made by a team of police officers including the District Police Commander, Superintendent of Police Thomas Osei Ababio, Divisional Crime Officer, Superintendent of Police Kwabena Otuo Acheampong all of Tarkwa with enforcement from the SWAT Unit of the Police Force in Takoradi did little to calm the residents.

“It took the police five hours to make the road accessible to road users with the exception of trucks belonging to GMC as the mob have threatened to burn them,” she said.

The MTTD Commander said authorities of the company have been advised not to allow any of their trucks to operate in the area until further notice.

She said the body of the deceased which was deposited at the Municipal hospital morgue for autopsy been examined and handed over to the family for burial.

The Tarkwa Circuit Court has also remanded Antwi into police custody for two weeks and the accident vehicle has been impounded as investigations continues, Superintendent Yamoah added.VV

Source: Ghana News Agency