Nana Kwesi Agyeman IX assaulted by unknown gang in Lower Dixcove

Dixcove (W/R)- The timely intervention of the Western Regional Police Command saved the life of the Omanhene of Lower Dixcove traditional area when he was seriously assaulted by an unknown gang who attacked his palace Monday morning.

The gang according to reports, forcibly broke the iron gate of the palace, entered the Chief’s Chamber and merciless assaulted him, resulting in blood oozing out from all over his body.

A distress call by a nephew of the Paramount Chief to the Regional Police Command and the swift response from the Command saved the life of the King and four others.

The cause for the attack is yet to be established but there are rumours that it was in connection with a feud over a land demarcation.

DSP Olivia Adiku, the Regional Police PRO, who confirmed the story, said a about 2330hours on Sunday, the Police had information that Nana Hema Dekye, Paramount Chief of Upper Dixcove had made an announcement to his subjects to gather at his Palace and that he had brought into the community well- built thugs from outside the town, who were wielding machetes and clubs to prepare for an attack.

The report said the thugs attacked Nana Kwasi Agyemang IX and his people at his Palace at Lower Dixcove and destroyed properties and took hostage Nana Kwasi Agyemang IX and four of his subjects to an unidentified location.

DSP Adiku said the thugs were alleged to have set barrels of fuel and boats on fire at the beach and also used dynamite to damage to some structures.

She said the Police from Agona Nkwanta with re-enforcement from Sekondi, led by DSP V. Akposu assisted by ASP Kofi Darko went to Dixcove and rescued Nana Kwasi Agyemang IX and the four other persons, who were half naked with cutlass wounds all over their body.

They were discovered locked up in a room on the second floor of Nana Hima Dakyi’s Palace and the police had to break into the room to rescue them.

No one was met at the Upper Dixcove Palace as they had all fled when the police arrived. The five rescued persons were sent to the Effia Nkwanta Hospital where they are currently receiving treatment.

The whereabout of suspect Nana Hima Dekyi is not known. Two vehicles, a Ford with Registration Number GT7299-X belonging to Nana Kwasi Agyemang IX and a Daewoo saloon car, GS 4207-10, have had their windscreens and windows damaged.

She said about eight boats were set ablaze with the blazing fire causing damage to an electric pole.

DSP Adiku said that the Town was currently calm as the Police was patrolling the area to ensure security and protect lives and property.

Source: Ghana News Agency