Kokroko Foundation gives Neonatal Incubators to Upper East Regional Hospital.

Bolgatanga Mr Kwame Sefa-Kayi, the Founder of Kokrokoo Charities Foundation, a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO), has presented two neonatal incubators to the Upper East Regional Hospital in Bolgatanga to improve on health care delivery of premature and pre-term babies.

The incubators, valued at about $200, 000. 00, were part of the Foundation’s social intervention for pre-term and pre-mature babies and their families dubbed: Project 100, designed to promote child survival and development in Ghana.

The project, which aims to purchase and donate 100 infant incubators to hospitals across the country by the end of this year, had already installed and handed over thirteen infant incubators to nine hospitals across seven Regions.

Presenting the equipment, Mr Sefa-Kayi who is a Broadcaster with Peace FM, an Accra based radio station, said the gesture was intended to assist health facilities across the country to provide quality health care to premature and pre-term babies.

He said with the help of several organizations and individuals who had generously given their time, monies and other resources, the Foundation had achieved 20 percent of its goal and was determined to pursue the remaining 80 percent through the support of members of the public.

Mr Sefa-Kayi said it was the believe of the Foundation that it was possible to give mothers hope and keep children alive, generate considerable empathy and funds from the general public and the corporate world in support of newborn health.

He said it was possible to create a world where every child born prematurely to have the chance to live normal infant life, and challenged the Ghanaian public including those in the diaspora to help build a more socially committed and caring attitude towards newborn health.

The Broadcaster called on management of the facility to take proper care of the equipment to ensure that they last long to serve their intended purpose.

Dr Patrick Atobrah, Medical Director of the Upper East Regional Hospital, who received the incubators, thanked Mr Sefa-Kayi and his team for the gesture, and said the incubators will improve our quality of neonatal care.

He appealed to other organizations to support the facility with ventilators, because growing babies needed to be on ventilators.

Checks by the Ghana News Agency at the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) of the hospital showed that the facility, which is a major referral centre for the Region, had only four functional incubators prior to the presentation.

Meanwhile a member of the Kokrokoo Charities Foundation team after the presentation, schooled staff of the NICU on how to operate the equipment to achieve effective results.

The Foundation also presented two incubators to the War Memorial Hospital in Navrongo and one to the Bongo District Hospital.

Source: Ghana News Agency