Court jails motor rider ten years for robbery

Accra- An Accra Circuit Court on Thursday sentenced a motor rider to ten years imprisonment in hard labour for robbing an Italian lady of her mobile phone.

Mohammed Moro, whom at the time of the incident was 19, pleaded not guilty to the charge but was found culpable.

Reuben Dzortekpeh, who is now 20 and charged together with Moro, was acquitted and discharged.

Police Chief Inspector William Kojo Boateng told the Court presided over by Mr Aboagye Tandoh that Benedetta Mangialardo, the complainant is an Italian working at the International Organization for Migration, Ghana and a resident of Dzorwulu in Accra.

He said Moro was a motor rider while Dzortekpeh was head porter and both reside at the Arts Centre and Okaishie respectively in Accra.

The Prosecution said that on Saturday, November 18, 2017, at about 2315hours, at Shiashie around the Tetteh Quarshie Roundabout, the complainant and her fiance, Simon Pannatier were returning from a friend’s house and while looking for a taxi, Moro and Dzortekpeh suddenly emerged from nowhere and began chasing them.

He said Moro tried snatching her iphone4 valued at $200 but she resisted and a struggle ensued between them but her fiance pushed Moro to the ground but he succeeded in snatching the phone and run into a nearby bush, leaving his pair of slippers.

The Prosecution said the complainant sustained bruises on her right arm and left thigh during the struggle.

Chief Inspector Boateng said in the course of the struggle, Moro’s Samsung edge 6 mobile phone fell on the ground and the complainant picked it together with the slippers.

He said Dzortekpeh also ran after the complainant and her fiance but retreated when he realised, they had reached open place with lights.

He said the complainant proceeded to the Airport Police with the exhibits and made a formal report.

Police Chief Inspector Boateng said on November 19, 2017, at about 1258 hours Dzortekpeh called Moro’s phone which was then in the custody of the Police and they lured him to come for the phone at the Airport First bus stop.

He said Moro and Dzortekpeh arrived at the agreed venue on a motorbike with the registration number M 17 GR 2543, where Dzortekpeh was the pillion rider.

Prosecution said the two sensing danger attempted to run away but Dzortekpeh was arrested whilst Moro sped off on the motorbike but he was later arrested at the Airport Residential Area.

He said the complainant identified Moro as well as the pullover dress worn by Dzortekpeh during the attack.

Chief Inspector Boateng said, Moro admitted ownership of the exhibits during investigation.

The court in passing sentence considered the period Moro had been in custody and he being a first time and young offender and the fact that his counsel pleaded for mitigation.

The Court said prosecution failed to prove the conspiracy case against the two but said the robbery evidence against Moro was strong and overwhelming.

Source: Ghana News Agency