2022 CHAN: Annor Walker not deterred by past Ghana achievements

Head coach of the Ghana national team, Annor Walker says the team is not fixated on Ghana’s previous run in previous TotalEnergies African Nations Championship tournaments, but his side is fully focused on this year’s edition which they have control over.

The Black Galaxies coach was speaking from the Chahid Hamlaoui Stadium in Constantine, where Ghana will officially kick off their CHAN campaign against debutants, Madagascar on Sunday evening, at 20h00 GMT.

The west African giants come into the tournament as one of the strong contenders of the competition, having reached the finals twice during the 2009 and 2014 editions respectively.

Asked on whether he believes this current squad can go all the way and lift the trophy that has eluded them at the last hurdle on two occasions, Walker said he does not want to put pressure on his players by reminding them of previous results but wants his side to focus on doing well and making Ghana proud.

“We have seen what the previous squads have done, and it is truly remarkable. However, the past is behind us, and we are looking forward to what is here in front of us, which we have control over. We are looking forward to getting to the finals and yes lifting the cup. With that said, we are not thinking of the past, but we are thinking of the present and what is ahead of us,” said Walker.

The coach also touched on the exciting talent and diversity of the squad that he has assembled for the tournament, saying that people will see what the rest of the clubs in Ghana have to offer in so far as local talent is concerned.

“I have players who are playing in Division 1 of Ghanaian football that I have included in the squad. I did not only select players from the big clubs as many people expected. From looking at the squad, we can safely say it is represented by at least ten different clubs from Ghana, which is why I believe this tournament is important in that, it exposes local talent for the world to see”, concluded Walker.

The coach was joined by his captain, Gladson Awako, who said the team had prepared well ahead of tomorrow’s clash and that the confidence in the camp is quite high amongst the squad.

“We are here to compete. No one goes into a competition to lose. We are confident and looking at the camp, each player is looking good and confident. Our preparations have gone very well, and we played two competitive friendlies in Egypt as well as here in Algeria to fine-tune our preparations. If we carry on with the same momentum, I think we should have a good tournament”, said Awako.

Source: Modern Ghana

Chelsea sign Ukraine forward Mykhailo Mudryk from Shakhtar Donetsk

Chelsea have completed the signing of Ukraine forward Mykhailo Mudryk from Shakhtar Donetsk.

The 22-year-old arrives at Stamford Bridge on an eight-and-a-half-year deal for a fee of 70m euros (£62m), plus a further 30m euros (£27m) in bonuses.

Chelsea beat Premier League rivals Arsenal to the signing of Mudryk, who scored seven goals in 12 league appearances for Shakhtar this season.

“I’m so happy to sign for Chelsea,” said Mudryk.

“This is a huge club, in a fantastic league and it is a very attractive project for me at this stage of my career. I’m excited to meet my new teammates and I’m looking forward to working and learning under Graham Potter and his staff.”

Mudryk, who has made eight international appearances for Ukraine since making his debut in June 2022, is at Stamford Bridge for Chelsea’s Premier League fixture against Crystal Palace on Sunday afternoon.

He had looked set to sign for Arsenal, but Shakhtar confirmed club president Rinat Akhmetov met with Chelsea co-owner Behdad Eghbali on Saturday to discuss the player’s move to west London.

“I am convinced Mykhailo will win the respect, sympathy and love of all connoisseurs of world football with his speed, his technique, his bright and beautiful game,” said Akhmetov.

Mudryk is Chelsea’s fifth signing of the January transfer window following the arrival of Joao Felix on a loan deal from Atletico Madrid, plus the permanent signings of Benoit Badiashile, David Datro Fofana and Andrey Santos.

Chelsea have spent more than £400m on transfers since a consortium led by American businessman Todd Boehly took control of the club in May 2022.

Club chairman Boehly and co-controlling owner Behdad Eghbali said: “We are delighted to welcome Mykhailo to Chelsea.

“He’s a hugely exciting talent who we believe will be a terrific addition to our squad both now and in the years to come. He will add further depth to our attack and we know he’ll get a very warm welcome to London.”

Source: Modern Ghana

Hearts of Oak: Slavko Matic announce starting XI for FC Samartex clash

Slavko Matic has named Hearts of Oak’s starting lineup for their Ghana Premier League match-week 13 game against FC Samartex.

The Phobians are hosting the Premier League newcomers to the Accra Sports Stadium.

Matic has made three changes in the lineup that managed to hold King Faisal to a scoreless draw in Kumasi.

Duo Glid Jeordon Otanga and Benjamin Yorke have been dropped to the bench as Robert Addo Sowah earns a starting berth following the absence of Zakaria Yakubu.

Congolese international Linda Mtange Don remains on the bench with Kwadwo Obeng Junior and Eric Esso returning the match-day squad list.

Below is Hearts of Oak lineup

• Richmond Ayi (GK)

• Rashid Okine

• Caleb Amankwah

• Samuel Inkoom

• Robert Addo Sowah

• Yaw Amankwah Baafi

• Gideon Asante Yeboah

• Eric Esso

• Salifu Ibrahim (C)

• Kwadwo Obeng Junior

Source: Modern Ghana

God has listened to our prayers – National Pensioners Association on 25% increment

The Social Security and National Insurance Trust (SSNIT) on Friday, January 15, 2023 announced a 25% increment in the monthly pension payments.

All legitimate pensioners on the SSNIT pension payroll as of the end of December 2022 will have their monthly pensions increased by a fixed rate of 19 per cent, plus a redistributed flat amount of GH¢73.58.

Reacting to this in an interview with GhanaWeb, the General Secretary of the National Pensioners Association, Stephen Boakye, noted that his outfit was taken aback upon hearing the announcement.

According to him, they were expecting less than the 10% increment pensioners received last year due to the current economic challenges.

Mr Boakye stated categorically that he was surprised as the 25% increment is about 150% more than what they received last year.

He stressed that God has listened to their prayers.

“We are very grateful for SSNIT. We were not expecting that we will get this percentage. To be frank, looking at COVID-19 and its related problems coupled with the current air that is blowing in the whole world economically, we were even thinking that we will get less than the 10% we had last year but surprisingly, this is 25% which is about 150% of last year’s, we are very grateful,” he told GhanaWeb Business in an interview.

“God has listened to our prayers, we are very happy and our people too will be happy…” he stated.

Meanwhile, the highest pensioner in Ghana will from this year earn an amount of GH¢169,725.89.

This was disclosed by the Chief Actuary of Social Security and National Insurance Scheme (SSNIT), Joseph Poku.

Speaking at a press conference in Accra on Friday, January 13, 2023, Mr Poku said the lowest pensioner, on the other hand, will receive GH¢430.58, an increase of 43.53%

The redistribution method adopted by SSNIT is a mechanism applied to the indexation rate to cushion members on low pensions in conformity with the solidarity principle of social security.

He noted that a total of GH¢5 billion will be distributed by the pension scheme this year to beneficiaries.

Source: Ghana Web

2023 CHAN: We will make Ghanaians proud in Algeria – Black Galaxies midfielder David Abagna

Black Galaxies midfielder, David Abagna Sanda says they are well prepared ahead of the 202 African Nations Championship [CHAN] tournament.

The locally based national team of Ghana has been housed in a tough Group C to face title holders Morocco, Madagascar and Sudan.

Ghana will open their campaign against Madagascar on Sunday at the Mohamed Hamlaoui Stadium in Constantine.

Having played some good preparatory games, the Real Tamale United star says they will make Ghanaians proud.

“We started with our preparations gradually in Ghana and increased the intensity when we got here. We played a few low-profile matches and progressed to playing tougher sides from Ghana which also included a few international friendlies,” Abagna told Cafonline in an interview.

“So, I think our preparations have been good but there is still quite a bit of work to do.

“We were in Algiers for a few days and also played a couple of friendly matches which gave us a taste of the weather but now that we are here in Constantine, we have to re-adjust a bit because it is much colder.

“First is to always stick to the general goal, which is to make our country proud. Everyone back at home is paying attention to what we are doing here, and we are all here to make our country proud.

“I think if the team does well, it will automatically rub off onto the players because you cannot do well by yourself while the team suffers”, he concluded

The Black Galaxies will play their second match on Thursday, 19 January against Sudan before wrapping up their Group C assignment against title holders Morocco on Monday, 23 January.

Source: Modern Ghana

Buipewura Jinapor donates food items, bull to military detachment in Damongo

The Paramount Chief of Buipe Traditional Area, Buipewura Abdulai Jinapor 11 has donated some food items and a bull to the 155 Military Armoured Regiment Camp in Damongo, the Savannah Regional capital.

This, the traditional ruler said was in recognition of the contribution of the military detachment and indeed,all security agencies in ensuring peace and tranquility in the area.

The Secretary to the Buipe Traditional Area, Neripewura Abubakari Kipson Panfia I, who made the presentation on behalf of Buipewura said the donation was in support of this year’s celebration of the West Africa Security Services Association (WASSA).

The WASSA he noted, was an annual celebration by the security services to promote peace within the services, adding that, Buipewura takes keen interest in such an important function geared at the general peace and welfare of society.

The donation included; a bull, bags of rice and assorted drinks to the command to aid in their preparations towards WASSA 2023, which was held on Saturday, 14th January, 2023.

Neripewura Panfia I reiterated Buipewura Jinapor’s commitment to building strong bonds between the security services and the traditional authorities.

He assured that the traditional leader was ready to assist in promoting and maintaining the longstanding peace enjoyed in the region together with the security and other important stakeholders, stressing that, “without peace, there won’t be development”.

Buipewura Jinapor II assured the command of his continuous readiness and unflinching support to the security to help them contribute to keeping peace in the area.

Receiving the items on behalf of the command, Lt. Adomako-Manu, the Adjutant of the Command, expressed gratitude to Buipewura Jinapor II on behalf of the service men and women in the region.

He added that the command appreciates the chief for the gift because the notice given to the traditional authorities was a short one.

“We appreciate this so much although the notice to him was a short one, he still honored us. We are so happy for this recognition,” he stated.

The Buipewura Jinapor II delegation included: Neripewura Panfia I, Kunshiwura, Koryapewura and Mr Tahiru.

Source: Modern Ghana

NPRA implements ‘agenda catch them young’ initiative to increase pensions enrolment in informal sector

The Bono, Bono East and Ahafo Regional Secretariat of the National Pensions Regulatory Authority (NPRA) is implementing the “agenda catch them young’ initiative to increase pension scheme enrolments among informal sector workers.

In the interim, Mr William Ohene-Adjei, the Regional Manager of the Authority said the initiative was to whip the interests of students in Technical and Vocational Education Training (TVET) institutes in the three regions to register and join the informal sector pension schemes.

Speaking in an interview with Journalists in Sunyani on the activities of the Authority, Mr Ohene-Adjei said joining informal sector pension schemes had no age limit or requirement, hence the need to inspire the students to register and enroll to benefit.

“These students are targeted because many of them will soon complete and establish their own businesses because TVET education provides employable skill training and ready and immediate jobs for the youth”, he said.

Mr Ohene-Adjei indicated that as the engine of national growth and development, the private or informal sector contributed between 75 and 85 per cent of the nation’s workforce, but regretted that only about four percent was registered and actively contributing to pension schemes.

“That is why we have to re-focus and direct attention to the informal sector to empower workers to understand the essence and relevance of joining pension schemes in their own interest”, he stated.

Mr Ohene-Adjei said the Authority had strengthened collaboration with religious bodies and traditional authorities, saying “last year we were able to visit and intensify pension education in churches and local communities to inspire the informal sector workers to register and join”.

Describing 2023 as an action year, the Regional Manager said the authority in the three regions had upscaled its outreach programmes, targeting carpenters, masons, market women and other artisanal workers.

Informal sector pension schemes, he added, remained flexible and beneficial, saying because contributors in the sector had savings and retirement accounts, they could withdraw some deposits after five years of contributing into their savings account.

“Contributors registered under informal sector pension schemes can also contribute any amount depending on their financial strength”, he said, and advised workers in the sector to join the pension scheme to provide them sound financial security on retirement.

The NPRA was set up by the National Pensions Act, (Act 247), 2008, to provide pension reforms in the country by introducing the Tier Three pension schemes and it oversees the administration and management of registered pension schemes of registered Trustees, including the Social Security and National Insurance Trust (SSNIT).

Source: Modern Ghana

NRSA considers banning Sprinter buses over Gomoa-Antseadze accident

Mr David Osafo Adonteng, the Acting Director-General of the National Road Safety Authority (NRSA), has hinted at moves to reconsider the use of Sprinter and some other minibuses for carrying passengers if the scourge of road crashes they are involved in persists.

He said the spate of avoidable road crashes involving such vehicles due to the blatant disregard for road traffic regulations by some of the drivers, particularly along the Takoradi-Cape Coast-Mankessim-Accra highway, were terrifying.

The drivers often competed for passengers along that stretch racing at top speed in the process, risking the lives of passengers and other road users.

Mr Adonteng, in an interview with the Ghana News Agency at the weekend, commiserated with victims of road crashes and their families and expressed the Authority’s determination to curtail the menace.

He expressed sadness over the death of seven passengers in a gory accident on Thursday night at Gomoa-Antseadze near Apam in the Gomoa West District of the Central Region, after visiting those on admission at the Winneba Trauma and Specialist Hospital.

He was accompanied by Madam Pearl Adosu, the Head of Public Relations at the Authority, Ms Linda Affotey Annang, Central Regional Head of the NRSA, and Assistant Superintendent of Police, Beatrice Smith-Koree, the Director of Mankessim Motor Traffic and Transport Division.

Fourteen people were involved in the accident of which seven died on the spot whilst the other seven, including an infant, sustained injuries.

The accident involved two Sprinter minibuses heading to Accra from Takoradi and Mankessim. On reaching Gomoa-Antseadze, the one from Takoradi, on top speed, tried to overtake the other bus, veered off the road and catapulted into the bush leaving many trapped.

“We know how they behave on the road, we have alerted them, given them notices and warned them, but if they continue to misbehave and take people’s lives for granted, then we would be left with no option than to invoke our mandate by the law” Mr Adonteng said.

“We are backed by the Road Safety Act, (Act 933) and Legislative Instrument (LI) to take firm action. We have the modalities, and I’m sure when we go back to Accra, we would be taking policy decisions for the Ministry of Transport to consider in the coming days.”

He urged drivers and road users to adhere to basic road safety signs to reduce road accidents.

Drivers must check the condition of their vehicles before putting them on the road, and endeavour not to drink and drive, he added.

Mr Adonteng interacted with some relatives of the deceased at the Mankessim Police Station and Mercy Women’s Hospital, as well as the Winneba Trauma and Specialist Hospital.

He interacted with the family of Ato Kwamena, a 34-year-old DJ, who boarded the vehicle from Ayensudo, near Elmina to Gomoa-Antseadze, but died in the accident right at his destination.

He also commiserated with relatives of Mr Solomon Agyare, 25, a driver’s mate in the Sprinter bus, who was married with a child.

Agyare, a commercial driver, join the Sprinter bus as mate to earn some income when his vehicle developed a fault. He hailed from Asante Akyem Amantia but lived at Kasoa.

Source: Modern Ghana