Isaac Dogboe anticipates tough bout against Ramirez on April 1

Accra – Former World Boxing Organisation (WBO) Super Bantamweight champion, Isaac “Royal Storm” Dogboe (24-2, 15 KOs), says Cuban boxer Robeisy Ramirez Carazzana (11-1, 7KOs) would be a difficult opponent as they face off for the WBO featherweight title.

With reigning champion Emanuel Navarrete’s decision to move up to super featherweight and fight Liam Wilson on February 3, 2022, the WBO featherweight title would become vacant.

The WBO has, therefore, ordered a showdown between Dogboe and Ramirez on April 1st for the vacant title, with the venue yet to be decided.

Speaking at a press conference on Wednesday, Dogboe stated that his opponent was one of the top rising boxers in the world but was optimistic about a positive outcome as he looked to become a two-time world champion.

“He is a great fighter, and at this level, everyone is sharp and sleek, and I see it as a battle between kings. He is a good fighter with two Olympic medals, and his career is on the rise. He has been in some good fights as well.

“We have done our homework well; we know what we are up against, and come April 1st, we would represent very well and make our country proud.

“There are no guarantees in boxing; you have to decide what you want and train hard for it, and then you take what you want, and that is my mission,” he said.

Dogboe, who defeated Joet Gonzalez to secure the WBC International title in July last year, further stated that he was open to unification in the near future if he should emerge champion on April 1, 2023.

Source: Ghana News Agency

Isaac Dogboe is the eye of Ghana boxing- GBA President?

Accra – Mr. Abraham Kotei Neequaye, President of Ghana Boxing Authority (GBA) has hailed Isaac Dogboe as Ghana’s only boxer who is edging close to becoming a two-time World Champion. 

The GBA President made this statement at the WBO featherweight title match between Isaac Dogboe and Cuban Ramirez Robeisy slated for April 1 2023, in the United States of America. 

According to Mr. Kotei, Dogboe has been phenomenal in recent years, bouncing back to contend for the WBO title again after being defeated by Emmanuel Navarette. 

“At the world level before one becomes a world champion, he needs to be in the world ratings so this confirms that Isaac Dogboe is the eye of Ghana now,” he said.

He described the former world champion as one who could win more titles for Ghana in the coming years and was confident, he would defeat his opponent Robeisy to bring back the title to Ghana.

The GBA president urged Ghanaians to rally behind the boxer as he embarks on a journey to raise the flag of Ghana high. 

Dogboe has a record of 24 wins in 26 bouts, losing two against current World Champion Emmanuel Navarrete who had now taken a step further to battle Liam Wilson in the WBO World Super Featherweight bout.

He defeated American international, Joet Gonzalez in his last bout to increase his chances of another shot at a world title. reality.

Source: Ghana News Agency

GPL Week 12: Legon Cities, Dreams FC clash ends in stalemate

Accra – The matchday 12 encounter between Legon Cities and Dreams FC ended goalless as both sides shared the spoils in a fascinating game at the Accra Sports Stadium on Wednesday, January 11, 2023.

Legon Cities, who have struggled at home this season, having won just once, continued their poor run at home as they were held by a Dreams side who are now unbeaten in five matches.

The “Royals” started the game on the front foot as they pressed the Dreams’ defense for the opener but lacked the cutting edge.

Legon Cities striker Alex Aso was very lively upfront, making some intelligent runs, but the likes of Abdul Jalilu and Ofori McCarthy kept him in check as they curtailed his attacks.

Dreams dominated the latter stages of the first half, and striker Agyenim Boateng Mensah hit the post with a close-range header on the stroke of halftime.

The second half was much more intense, with some end-to-end attacking prowess from both teams.

Legon Cities’ Alex Aso came very close to putting his side ahead with a shot just outside the penalty box, but there was no power behind it to beat Dreams’ goalkeeper Augustine Koomson.

The clearest chance of the game fell for Dreams FC’s Abdul Aziz Issah midway through the second half, but his goal-bound effort was miraculously saved by Legon Cities goalkeeper Slyvester Sackey.

He received massive applause from the few fans at the stadium and was very impressive for Legon Cities in the latter stages of the match as he pulled another brilliant save from Agyenim Boateng’s well-struck effort from long-range.

Both sides seemed content with the points going into the late stages of the game, as both held on to secure a point.

Source: Ghana News Agency

Caleb Mallet wins Miljkovic Football Tournament Best Player Award

Accra – Caleb Mallet 21-year-old was crowned the Best Player of the Third Edition of the Miljkovic Football Tournament players award, held at the Accra Academy Sports Ground.

He led his team, Dunamis Sports Academy to defeat Great Ambition Football Club 4-2 on penalty shootout to win emerge ultimate winners of the competition.

In an interview with the GNA Sports he expressed gratitude to the organisers and pledged to continue to work hard in order to make his nation proud.

He said, “I feel great for winning the best player in this competition and is a pleasure that I will be travelling to Serbia to continue my carrier.

It was a very great tournament overall and I’ll give credit to the organisers and all those who made it possible”.

Mr. Aleksandar Miljkovic Chief Executive Officer of Miljkovic Football who spoke via zoo thanked the players and the entire management for contributing immensely for a successful tournament.

He said, “congratulations to Dunamis Sport Academy for their win and Caleb Mallet for winning the best player of the tournament, Caleb would be joining us soon, great work done”.

He applauded the coach and his team for demonstrating hard work and dedication to achieve their success.

Mr. Leon Daniel Agyeman Dodoo organiser of the tournament, thanked the participating teams and urged them never to give up.

“I would like to thank all the participating teams, management, and referees. I appreciate their involvement and their time throughout the competition.

In 2023 Miljkovic Football Tournament would be expanded as well as improve some key areas.”

Source: Ghana News Agency

2023 CHAN: Black Galaxies are well prepared for the tournament – Dr Tony Aubynn

Management Committee chairman of the Black Galaxies, Dr Tony Aubynn says the team is well prepared for the 2023 African Nations Championship [CHAN].

The locally assembled side wrapped up their preparations with a friendly game against Mozambique, a game that ended abruptly after Ghana were awarded a penalty.

With the team set to open their campaign against Madagascar, Dr Aubynn is convinced the team is well prepared for the tournament.

“We know Morocco are the giant in African football now because of their performance at the World Cup but they are also scared of coming up against Ghana because of our history.

“They are talking about us because they know we can also hurt them.

“We have played good games and for me, we are better prepared for this tournament and we hope to achieve our target,” he added.

The Black Galaxies started the campaign with a win against Hearts of Oak and Legon Cities. In Egypt where they opened an 18 days camping, the team defeated Egypt’s U-20 side and Al Ahly.

In Algeria, Annor Walker and his side shared spoils with Algeria.

Ghana have been housed in Group C alongside Sudan and Morocco. The tournament has been scheduled to kick-off from January 13 to February 4.

Source: Modern Ghana

DR Congo out of U-17 Afcon after age checks

Democratic Republic of Congo have been forced to pull out of a regional qualifying tournament for the 2023 Under-17 Africa Cup of Nations after 25 out of 40 players failed mandatory age testing.

It is the latest age fraud scandal to hit the Central African Football Federations’ Union (UNIFFAC) qualifiers after 32 players from host nation Cameroon failed age tests ordered by Samuel Eto’o, president of the country’s governing body, Fecafoot.

After a race against time, BBC Sport Africa understands Cameroon has found 30 replacement players who have all passed Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) tests in Douala.

But as the Indomitable Lions’ opening fixture in Limbe was supposed to be against DR Congo, they will not now be able to kick off the tournament on 12 January as scheduled.

A statement by the Congolese football federation (Fecofa) said it was forced to withdraw after “only 15 were eligible and 25 failed of the 40 players submitted for MRI testing.”

However, of the 15 players who passed the age test, the statement also revealed “only five managed to complete the necessary administrative formalities” that would have allowed them to travel to Cameroon.

Four countries – Cameroon, Congo-Brazzaville, Chad and Central African Republic – will now take part in the qualifying competition, with UNIFFAC rescheduling fixtures between 12 and 24 January.

Two teams will progress to April’s Under-17 Nations Cup finals in Algeria.

“It’s an organisational nightmare because we have to quickly come up with a new format that will involve four nations instead of the original five,” a UNIFFAC official told BBC Sport Africa.

“We are happy that after the MRI scans, all four nations now have a team.”

The Confederation of African Football (Caf), which enforces the MRI age scans, has been contacted for comment.

• The fight against age cheats

Many of Africa’s international successes in junior tournaments have been clouded by allegations of the use of overage players.

Fifa banned Nigeria from all international fixtures for two years after finding that the birth dates of three of their players in the 1988 Olympics were different from those used by the same players in previous tournaments.

In 2003, Kenya’s Under-17 team was dissolved by the government after some players admitted to age fraud.

Seven months ago, Ghana were banned from the next two editions of qualifying for the Women’s U-17 World Cup and fined $100,000 after being found guilty.

Djibouti, Sudan, Somalia and Congo-Brazzaville have all also suffered disqualifications from major tournaments whilst Ivory Coast, Liberia, Guinea, Benin, Sierra Leone and Uganda have all been notable offenders.

Cameroon legend Eto’o promised to take action to combat the long-running problem when he was elected Fecafoot president in December 2021.

Source: Modern Ghana

Angola aim CHAN quarterfinals

Luanda – Angola have set the quarter-finals as the goal to achieve in the 7th edition of the African Football Championship (CHAN), a competition reserved for players of domestic competitions, to be held from January 13 to February 4, in Algeria.

If compared to Angola’s history in the competition, the goal set this time by the national team is very modest, taking into account that they were runner-up in 2011 after 3-0 defeat to Tunisia in the final.

In their second appearance, in Rwanda in 2016, Angola was eliminated in the group stage after conceding defeats to Democratic Republic of Congo 2-4, and Cameroon (0-1), with just a win against Ethiopia 2-1.

In the competition, held in 2018, in the Kingdom of Morocco, Angola was eliminated in the quarter-finals by Nigeria, with a 1-2 defeat.

In their fourth appearance in the tournament, the national team will only play on the 16th, against Mali, in a group D match, in the city of Oran, and then against Mauritania.

The CHAN`2023 will have the participation of eighteen national teams. Besides Angola, Algeria (host country), Morocco, Libya, Senegal, Mauritania, Mali, Niger, Ghana, Côte d’Ivoire, Congo Brazzaville, Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Cameroon, Sudan, Ethiopia, Uganda, Madagascar and Mozambique.

Among the competing countries, Morocco and the DRC, with two titles each, are the leaders of the competition that started in 2009.

Morocco won in 2018 and 2020, while the DRC (2009 and 2016). They are followed with one trophy each by Tunisia (2011) and Libya (2014).

The top two teams from groups A, B and C, made up of four teams each qualify for the quarterfinals. Series D (Angola, Mali and Mauritania) and E (Cameroon, Congo Brazzaville), with three teams, will each qualify one team for the next round, making a total of eight.

Fixtures:

(Friday Group A): Algeria – Libya

(Saturday/Group A): Ethiopia – Mozambique

(Saturday/Group B): DRC-Uganda

(Saturday/Group B): Cote d’Ivoire-Senegal

(Sunday/Group C: Morocco-Sudan

(Sunday/Group C: Madagascar-Ghana

(Monday/Group D): Mali-Angola

(Monday /Group E: Cameroon-Congo Brazzaville

Source: Angola Press News Agency